Skip to Content
  • Energy Assessor in Rugby
  • Surveyors and Valuers in Rugby
  • Surveyors and Valuers in Nuneaton
  • Surveyors and Valuers in Leamington
  • DEA in Northampton

Elite Surveyors Ltd

15 - Oct - 2010

Elite Surveyors are a team of experienced and professional energy assessors. Providing EPCs throughout Warwickshire and Northamptonshire. We also provide many other services for residential properties.

Air Conditioning and Asbestos Surveys / Fire Risk Assessments and DEC's

Air Conditioning and Asbestos Surveys / Fire Risk Assessments and DEC's

Do I need an air-conditioning inspection?

All air-conditioning systems with an effective rated output of more than 12kw must be regularly inspected by an Energy Assessor. The inspections must be a maximum of five years apart.

  • For all systems first put into service on or after 1 January 2008, the first inspection must have taken place within five years of the date when it was first put into service
  • For other air-conditioning systems, where the effective output is more than 250kW the first inspection must happen by 4 January 2009
  • For other air-conditioning systems, where the effective output is more than 12kW the first inspection must happen by 4 January 2011.
From 4 January 2011, if the person in control of the air-conditioning system changes and the new person in control is not given an inspection report, the new person in control of the system must ensure the air-conditioning system is inspected within three months of the day that person assumes control of the system.

Asbestos Assessments

The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006 has now been implemented and this will replace all previous regulations including the Control of Asbestos at Work Regulation 2002.

Briefly, these regulations require that all persons who have control of a building or are duty managers have the ability to carry out a risk assessment, which includes inspecting the property and surveying it for the presence of asbestos. An adequate plan to manage any asbestos present must also be provided.

These regulations relate to all commercial buildings.

Employers also have a responsibility to provide adequate training for those who may come into contact with asbestos.

Further information regarding this legislation may be obtained from the Government website the HSE.

Fire Risk Assessment

Do I need a Fire Risk Assessment?

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (FSO) which came into effect in October 2006 applies to all non-domestic premises in England and Wales, including the common parts of blocks of flats and houses in multiple occupation (HMOs). The law applies to you if you are:

  • Responsible for business premises
  • An employer or self-employed with business premises
  • Responsible for a part of a dwelling where that part is solely used for business purposes
  • A charity or voluntary organization
  • A contractor with a degree of control over any premises

Display Energy Certificates

Display Energy Certificates (DECs) show the actual energy usage of a building, the Operational Rating, and help the public see the energy efficiency of a building. This is based on the energy consumption of the building as recorded by gas, electricity and other meters.

The DEC should be clearly displayed for the public. A DEC is always accompanied by an Advisory Report that lists cost effective measures to improve the energy rating of the building.

The revised Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD 2), due to come into effect in December 2010 will necessitate the production of a DEC (and AR) for all public buildings over 250m².

  • Commercial Energy Assessor in Warwick
  • DEA in Nuneaton
  • Energy Assessor in Leamington
  • Surveyors in Northampton
  • Commercial Energy Assessor in Northampton