Energy Performance Certificates

Domestic and Non Domestic EPCs
Domestic Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) provides a record of the energy efficiency rating of a building.

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented.

You must arrange for an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you market your property to sell or rent to potential buyers or tenants.

Elite Surveyors Limited assesses the building on a scale from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient). We will also recommend improvements that could upgrade this rating, such as installing internal and external wall insulation, replacing the boiler with a more efficient model, or installing double-glazed windows. New homes are rated between A and C and older homes between E and G. The average rating is D. 

Domestic EPC average rating
Non-Domestic Energy Performance Certificates (NDEPCs)

A Non-Domestic Energy Performance Certificate (NDEPC) applies to landlords and rates how energy efficient your building is using grades from A to G (with ‘A’ the most efficient grade). Government guidance for landlords.

You must have an NDEPC if:

  • You rent out or sell the premises
  • A building under construction is finished
  • There are changes to the number of parts used for separate occupation and these changes involve providing or extending fixed heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems

From 1 April 2018, landlords of privately rented property in England or Wales must ensure that their properties reach at least an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E before granting a new tenancy to new or existing tenants.

These requirements will apply to all private rented properties in England and Wales, even where there has been no change in tenancy arrangements from 1 April 2023 for non-domestic properties.

Non Domestic EPC